Landlord Gas Safety Certificate CP12

From Gas Safe® registered engineers

Landlord Gas Safety Checks

Last updated 31 Jan 2022

A CP12 certificate or gas safety certificate is issued to the owner of a property after a complete gas safety check has been carried out by a  qualified technician. The technician will check all gas appliance and flue pipes in the property. Please note, the test will apply to both permanent and portable appliances.

Why you need to take gas safety seriously

It is a sobering fact that faulty gas appliances are responsible for the deaths of 14 people on average in the UK every year. These deaths are directly related to gas appliances and flues that have not been improperly installed or have not been maintained on a regular basis. In addition, any fuel burning appliance that burns fuel inefficiently will emit carbon monoxide, one cause of long-term health issues. Apart from the legal requirement, you also have a moral obligation to ensure your tenants safety. 

In addition, any fuel burning appliance that burns fuel inefficiently will emit carbon monoxide, one cause of long-term health issues.

Did you know?  Carbon monoxide can be an invisible, odourless, silent killer!

How to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

Whilst the landlord will take responsibility for annual gas safety checks, the tenant must also be on the lookout for signs of possible danger from gas appliances as listed below and should be reported to your landlord immediately. In addition to reporting, you should stop using the gas device until it has been approved safe by a qualified engineer. Ask your landlord to install a carbon monoxide alarm, as an extra safety precaution. These devices are not expensive and if  the landlord refuses or is slow to act why not install one yourself. 

  • If the appliance is not working properly
  • If any flue gets blocked
  • Signs of significant wear and tear
  • Yellow or orange flames s (except for fuel-effect fires which display this
    colour flame)
  • Soot or stains around the appliance and pilot light

What is Included

In order to issue a CP12 gas safety certificate, the following checks will be carried out by a qualified technician.

  • All fixed and portable gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • All flues will be flow tested to make sure products of combustion are not present.
  • The Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against comply to the manufacturers safety data. This is Information can be found on the appliance's data plate.
  • Standing and working pressure will be tested if the appliance is fitted with test points.
  • Flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation. Flame failure devices are key safety devices and stop the flow of gas if a flame is extinguished for any reason
  • Check that the necessary ventilation exists and complies with safety standards. 
  • Any evidence of unsafe operation will be reported.
  • Stability brackets will be checked for any signs of pending failure.

How long does a gas safety check take?

A gas safety check will depend on the size of the property and the number of gas appliance. If all appliances are faultless, then most engineers will be able to complete in less than 1 hour. If problems are detected it can take longer as all faults must be fully investigated and the results documented in the report. 

Who else needs CP12 Certificate for Gas Safety

Gas safety checks are required by :

  • landlords
  • Housing associations
  • Hotels and B&B's
  • Boarding schools
  • Hostels

How much does CP12 Certificate cost on average?

Some research will show that most gas certificates will cost anywhere from £70 - £140. 

Do I need a gas safety certificate when selling my house?

Homeowners are NOT legally required to produce a gas safety certificate when selling their property. It does go without saying having one will make for a more streamlined sale. A gas safety check could turn up potential problems that could cost a substantial sum to put right. As such, any perspective buyer should consider having their own inspection carried out if the owner is unable to provide a recent safety certificate.

Duties of Landlord in relation to Gas appliances

In addition to the annual safety check that must be carried out by a qualified engineer, you also need to issue a copy to the existing tenants within 28 days of the check. If any new tenants move in, you must also provide them with a copy. You need also to keep a record of the safety checks for 2 years.

Gas Safety Certificate (CP12 ) – The Basics

The final issued certificate provides proof that all the gas installations have been thoroughly checked and comply to the existing safety standards set by

Other Landlord Certificates

In additional to the annual CP12 safety gas check, a landlord or owner of a buy to let property is also responsible for providing  an electrical safety certificate (EICR). The electrical safety check needs to be implemented every five years.

FAQ's - CP12 Gas Safety Certificate Requirements

I have a domestic help that lives in

In this situation you are deemed to be a landlord, and it is your responsibility to carry the CP12 check on an annual basis , every 12 months

Unoccupied property

If the property is to be let out, you must ensure all gas appliances and flues have had a safety check that is up-to-date. (within 12 months). If your property will be unoccupied for a short term, consider short term unoccupied property insurance to protect your investments when empty. 

Sources & Other Authoritative Sites

Other insurance and services available for landlords

Scroll to Top