Compare 125cc Motorbike Insurance

Compare 25+ providers, you could pay less than £194*, One short form – save time & money

Don’t have your registration number? No problem, click here.

Policies and deals from industry leading motorcycle insurance providers, including

Tailored quotes from a panel of Motorcycle Insurance specialists

125cc Motorbike Insurance

Obtaining 125 cc Bike Insurance is a requirement under UK law to operate one of these small motorcycles on the road. These small displacement vehicles on average have a top speed of 70 mph and can get up to 100 MPG. If you only use your bike during the summer months, you may wish to consider pay as you go motorbike insurance, as it should work out cheaper. When searching for a good deal on bike insurance, take time to check out the specialist providers in this sector. These include MCE insurance, Principal and Bennets motorcycle insurance services.

One of the reasons for the growing popularity of these small bikes or mopeds is the operator does not have to pass the UK motorcycle licence test. All that is required is to pass the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) test.

We cover all types of 125 bikes. This category comes in many guises including scooters, classics and replicas.  Insurance is available for drivers age 17,18 and 19 all the way to age 70. 

The minimum age to take and pass the CBT is 17. This licence is only good for 2 years. After that, the rider can retake the CBT or take the regular motorcycle driving and theory tests provided by the UK Government.

What type of 125cc Bike Insurance is required by UK law?

Under UK law the minimal coverage required to take a vehicle on the road is Third Party.

Third Party 

  • This type of policy provides the funds for repairs to the other vehicle and medical bills of its occupants when you are at fault in an accident.

Third Party Fire and Theft

  • This is the same coverage as Third Party with the addition of protecting your bike if it is damaged by fire or is stolen.


  • This policy is the same as Third Party Fire and Theft plus it covers the cost of repairs to your bike and your medical bills when you are at fault in an accident.

How do I reduce my 125cc bike Insurance premium?

  • This policy is the same as Third Party Fire and Theft plus it covers the cost of repairs to your bike and your medical bills when you are at fault in an accident.
  • The first thing is to limit your mileage on the bike. By having a low upper limit in terms of mileage in your insurance policy, your premium will be lower.
  • Take and pass the full UK motorcycle driving test and obtain a motorcycle license. 
  • Keep your 125 cc bike in a secure location when not in use. The best place is in a lock garage.
  • Install a theft deterrent device.
  • Avoid riding in high crime areas.

Riding a 125cc motorcycle is fun and can be a liberating experience. By having a right type of licence and the proper level of insurance is not only the law, but the safest and least problematic so your riding experience can be joyful and not full of complications. 

Failure to have the minimum CBT license can result in a fine of up to £1,000 and 6 points will be added to your driver’s license once you pass it. Driving without the proper 125 cc bike Insurance can result in a fine up to £5,000.

Compare the costs of 125cc Motorbike Insurance with Multiple Brokers today.

Whatever the model Honda XL125, Suzuki RV125 or the Yamaha YZF-R125 we can provide you with a tailored quoted and an option to add extras.

*51% of consumers who received a quote for Motorbike Insurance through this service provided by Seopa Ltd. in August 2023 were quoted less than £194.60. The price you could
achieve is dependent on your individual circumstances.

Scroll to Top