Will Green Cards will be required for truck drivers if Brexit goes through?

Truck and lorry drivers who cross the border in and out of the UK to the EU will have to be ready for a change if the Brexit goes through. The biggest change will be in the documentation that will be required, including Green Cards.

What will be required to get a Green Card for travel to the EU?

To travel into the European Union after a hard Brexit occurs will require a Green Card for UK citizens. This includes all the truck drivers that regularly transport goods across the border. To get a Green Card requires a valid passport that has at least 2 full blank pages and an additional valid UK issued ID like a driver's license along with proof of truck insurance coverage that covers travel in the EU.

The biggest issue will be the proof of truck insurance coverage while on the roads in the EU for the truck and lorry drivers. This has to be proven before a Green Card will be issued. There is one alternative to having your UK insurance protecting you on the roads in the EU. You can purchase a policy from an EU insurance company for coverage while in the EU. The minimum amount of coverage required by EU law is third party insurance.

What is the cost of a Green Card?

It has already been stated by the Department for Transportation that the issuing of green cards will be free, but there is a catch, and it is not from a government. There has been some talk that insurance companies will charge a processing fee or other administration fee for all coverage that will include travel to the EU from the UK.

When does this Green Card Policy go into effect?

If no deal is made on Brexit by March 29, 2019, the Brexit will be classified as a hard split and Green Cards will be required to pass into the UK for EU citizens. The reverse will be true for UK citizens to pass into the EU they will be required to have a Green Card.

How long does the processing of a Green Card take?

t has been suggested that travelers apply for a Green Card should do so at least 30 days before they travel to the EU from the UK. For truck and lorry drivers to pass the border on and after March 29th they must possess a Green Card if no Brexit plan is decided on by the governments involved. That is now less than 60 days away.

It is always best to be prepared. In the case of UK drivers now is the time to consult with your insurance agent to see how a hard Brexit will affect your insurance coverage. As of this date no change is anticipated for EU driving rules. If you still have questions our knowledgeable independent insurance brokers are available to assist you.

Scroll to Top