Catering Van Insurance

Mobile catering insurance, Insurance for burger, ice cream vans and hot dog vans, Catering trailer insurance

Compare cheap quotes from UK catering Insurance providers including


Compare Mobile Catering Van Insurance 

Last updated  March 2024 by Eamonn Turley

For the business owner with a mobile food service truck, the need for catering van insurance is a must to help keep your business open and operational when misfortune hits. This type of business can be a mobile Fish & Chips van, complete catering services to events or schools, or another type of food service that is mobile.

What is catering van insurance?

Catering van insurance is a special category of coverage that a mobile food service can use for financial protection against a wide variety of problems and accidents can be taken care of. This will make it possible to keep the business open when the unforeseen occurs.

Catering Van Insurance

Catering van insurance is aimed at the catering industry that provides a mobile food service. Typical examples would include a fish and chip van, burger van, ice cream van, sandwich bar or a food trailer. These need not be a van conversion, and in many cases are mobile catering trailers. If you also provide a delivery service, your delivery drivers will need a special type of cover referred as fast food delivery insurance.  

Not only can the vehicle be covered, but also the business that operates out of it. Types of coverage available include;

  • Third party insurance for the vehicle
  • Third party fire and theft insurance for the vehicle
  • Comprehensive insurance for the vehicle
  • Public liability insurance for the business
  • Employee liability insurance
  • Business Interruption insurance
  • Catering equipment insurance

What certificates do I need to run a catering van?

When you are dealing  food, you need to adhere to fixed standards similar to running an actual restaurant. You will need a food hygiene certificate level 2 to sell and handle food that is open. In addition, you will also need  PAT certificates for electric appliance and gas safety certificate if you are using gas appliances. These should be printed off and sealed and attached to the appliances, also scan and keep a copy for any inspections.

Level 2 Food Hygiene Training Certificate

3 Levels exists, but level 2 is sufficient and appropriate for most food handling staff within a catering business. Level 3 is geared towards managers and supervisors. This is a legal requirement for any staff hat handle open food, on completion NCASS will award you with a laminated food hygiene certificate, with hologram and unique identifying number.

Gas Safety and Electric Safety Certificates

If your catering equipments will run off gas, you will also need  a gas safety certificate, previously called a CP12 gas safety certificate.  The gas safety test must be carried out on an annual basis by a qualified technician. If you are using electrical catering equipment, you will need an electrical safety certificate (EICR). The test is referred to as PAT test for Portable appliance testing and is required for each appliance.

Do I need a street trading licence?

A street trading licence is required to sell food from a catering van. Contact your local council for your street trading application form.  For more information, please visit the government street trading standards page.

What are the risks involved in a food truck business?

To find out the risk, you must carry out a food risk assessment of your workplace. This risk assessment is appliable to catering vans, food trucks, sandwich bars, pubs, and takeaways or restaurants. If your catering vehicle is a converted truck, the panel can provide a form of HGV insurance with cover for mobile catering. If you have more than one food truck, you can also consider fleet insurance to cover all your vehicles under one policy.

What types of vehicles can be covered with catering van insurance?

Any type of vehicle used to transport or sell food from a mobile unit to a catering trailer can be covered. This includes;

  • Converted vehicles such as buses, vans and trucks
  • Mobile trailers
  • Static trailers
  • Catering vans that have been modified
  • Catering trailer insurance

Why you need catering van insurance

The reason for having catering van insurance is to protect you, your vehicle and business under one policy. While it is possible to take out three different policies, by having all three areas covered under one policy, the premium will be less costly. There will also be fewer hassles if a claim must be made.

By having only one policy, the time for payout for a claim will be reduced, since no decision has to be made by the insurance company or companies which policy is the right one for the claim to be filed.

Is there any optional coverage that is available?

Some businesses prefer or can only afford basic insurance coverage. This is risky when operating a mobile food business, but sometimes cannot be avoided.

For the business side, you can have business fixture and equipment coverage along with stock replacement to get your business operational after a problem occurs. There is also road rage coverage, just in case you are the victim of vandalism or an outright assault on your vehicle or person.

When possible, a courtesy vehicle can also be deployed to help keep your business operational when your main vehicle has been damaged.

Under the vehicle side of the policy, roadside assistance and wind shield protection can be added to the coverage.

Catering van insurance companies

Catering van insurance is a specialised type of cover that is not offered by all UK insurance companies, we have listed some key players in the field of mobile catering plus some of these and others appear on our partner Quoteszone's select catering van insurance panel.

  • Towergate Catering Van Insurance
  • Mobilers
  • Brady Insurance UK
  • Coversure Insurance
  • Barry Grainger

Towed catering trailer insurance

Insurance comparison quotes is available for all types of catering services if provide a catering service from a converted trailer then you will need specialised catering trailer insurance also referred to as simply food trailer insurance. 

Compare mobile catering van insurance

In partnership with Quotezone you can get multiple catering van insurance quotes for all types of mobile catering vans. These catering vans are not limited to typical hot dog vans, but extends to all types of catering vans that provide a catering service. 

Catering Van Insurance FAQ's

Can I pay in Monthly Instalements?

Yes, monthly instalments for van catering insurance is accepted by most brokers

Scroll to Top