Unoccupied House Insurance UK | Short term 3, 6 or 9 month policy

Unoccupied House Insurance Short Term

  • House insurance unoccupied 90 days
  • Empty house insurance quotes
  • Professional and public liability
  • Monthly, quarterly or annual payments
  • Compare UK specialist insurers
  • Unoccupied house insurance 3 months

Unoccupied Home Insurance UK | Short term 3, 6 or 9 month policy

Unoccupied house insurance for 3 months is a speciality type of policy that protects the homeowner’s investment in a residential house or flat that is generally not their main residence and is not occupied by tenants or guests on a permanent or temporary basis. The panel can also provide  holiday home insurance in Spain or any European country.

Most insurance brokers class a building as unoccupied if it has been empty for 30 days and above. A few brokers will call it vacant only if it has been unoccupied for 60 or in some cases 90 days. This same type of cover is also suitable for any unoccupied commercial property.

Can I take out temporary empty property insurance ?

With empty house policies the norm is that if the status changes from unoccupied to occupied you can cancel your empty house cover or simply change to the more standard and what should be  cheaper occupied house insurance. So you can protect an empty property for a short term, for example 3 months or extend for a  longer term.

More than one property?

If you are a landlord with multiple properties a portfolio approach or multi property landlord buildings insurance should be considered. If some properties are empty, check with the policy provider as to the terms of cover for any unoccupied periods.

Do I need unoccupied house insurance?

The term unoccupied is different from the many insurance companies that offer this type of cover. The typical definition is a residential house or flat that will have no overnight guests or tenants for a period of 30 days or more. For some companies this period of time being unoccupied reaches to 40 days before it is required.

unoccupied house insurance

The typical reasons to use this speciality insurance for a property that is unoccupied include the following;

  • The house is being extensively remodelled or renovated involving an extended period of time and the homeowner moves out until it is completed.
  • The homeowner passes away and the new generation that inherits the property are not sure what to do with it or are quarrelling over it. In this scenario the property can remain unoccupied for an extended period of time.
  • The owner does not want to take out a holiday home policy, but instead decides on an unoccupied house insurance policy when they periodically move back to their main residence.
  • The property is up for sale for over 30 days since the owner moved out.
  • The homeowner is transferred to a new location due to their job, but they do not want to sell the property for some reason.
  • For homeowners going on an extended holiday that will last more than 30 days.
  • For property owners that are having difficulty in locating tenets to rent the house.

Good to Know

When it comes to ensuring an empty house, brokers understand the policy term can vary, from as little as 30 days to 3 months or over. The good news is that most policies are flexible, with a cancel or amend option available.

Why doesn’t my homeowner's policy cover my home when I leave it for more than 30 days?

A typical policy is designed to protect the main residence of a person or family from damage and theft. When the home is unoccupied for more than 30 days, the absence of dwellers on a regular basis will be noticed by others which is considered an increase in risk to the insurance company. Because of the increase in risk, most insurance companies increase the premium to double the cost than of a typical  policy for the same property. 

What does the unoccupied house insurance cover?

For the most part, empty property insurance for 3 months or longer covers the same items that a standard home policy does, but generally at a higher rate due to the increased risk. If you are insuring an empty house, most policies will include the following:

  • Fire, flood, storm and accidental damage just in case of a water or gas line rupture.
  • Theft and vandalism damage.
  • Legal expense cover.
  • Public liability cover is protection if someone is on your unoccupied property for any reason and is injured.
  • Building insurance for unoccupied house or empty property

How can I reduce the risk factors of owning an unoccupied property?

Check it at least once a month

One way to help reduce the risk of owning an unoccupied house is to check on it at least once a month. This can be accomplished by the homeowner or a caretaker. The caretaker can be a neighbour or someone who is hired to help look after the property.

Whoever checks on the property, they should inspect the house. This inspection can include turning on the heater and or air condition to help keep them in working condition. They should also check the water and gas supply lines for leaks along with the items connected to them to make sure they are still in proper working order. It is advisable to have the water and gas lines drained which is the safest path to preventing damage.

Even when there is no evidence of tampering to window locks and doors, they should all be checked. If one is found unlocked or open, it has to be made secure. What should be noted is that if there is a break-in and there is no evidence of forced entry, any claim for theft or damage will be denied.


If you are into smart home gadgets,  Alexa has a skill that will switch on lights if it hears sounds during the middle of the night.

Electrical System

Get a qualified election to check the wiring, especially if the house has not been rewired in the past 10 years. If you intend to sell or let out the property you will  need an electrical safety certificate. The certificate will be requested, so best to have it waiting and reading so the sale or let runs smoothly.

Central Heating System

If the property is to be left empt for any significant period of time, it is imperative that you rain your central heating system to avoid expensive repairs. This can be outsourced if you feel it is outside your how do skill set. Alternatively read our guide on how to power flush a combi boiler central heating system. 

Automatic Light timers

A timer connected to a light that comes on in the evening is a good fake way to show the home is occupied when it is not. A vehicle in the driveway is another good deterrent.

Empty property insurance for 3 months or longer  is a way to protect your investment when you are not around for an extended period of time. This financial protection is mandatory if you have a mortgage on the property.

Compare unoccupied home insurance

If you need  unoccupied home insurance 90 days or for shorter terms complete one simple form provided by Quotesearcher you will receive multiple quotes from a panel of UK specialist insurance providers. Start by selecting the start your quote option below to see what unoccupied house insurance are currently available in the marketplace. 

Unoccupied House Insurance for 3 months or longer

Home insurance Products

Scroll to Top