• You are here:
  • Home »

Van hire excess Insurance

Protect your truck  today. Compare quotes from multiple brokers.

  • Excess on damage and theft up to a maximum of £6,500
  • Covering drivers aged between 21 - 84
  • Misfuelling and car key cover – each up to £500 per claim
  • Van hire excess protection one easy form
  • Cover for Vans up to 3.5 Tonnes
  • Rental periods of up to 60 consecutive days

Van hire excess insurance explained

When you rent a van you will have cover called collision damage waiver(CDW). However, most rental companies impose an excess, this is the amount that you are still liable for if a claim is made. In addition. Please note no cover is provided for damage to glass or van underside. Taking out a van hire excess insurance policy provides cover for the excess plus will also provide cover for damage to underside and glass. van hire excess protection

What is excess protection insurance?

If you cause damage to a hire van you will be held responsible for the van hire excess amount. The excess amount can be sizable, especially in the UK. The excess is the amount that you will be held responsible for. So if rental comes with an excess of £3,000 and repaid costs is £4,000 you will be responsible for the £3,000. The rental company is liable for the £1,000.

van hire excess insurance
van rental excess cover

Van hire excess insurance can be sizable

Typical excess amounts are over £1,000 and higher the more expensive the van. This will be recovered against you even if the damage caused is not your fault, example a dent in the car park.

The two key events that can occur is an accident or theft of the rental van. As  either can happen, you should consider taking out van hire excess cover. This can reduce your excess to a smaller amount or waive the excess to zero, leaving you with zero liability.

What is collision damage waiver?

Collision damage waiver is the optional insurance that you will be offered by the van rental company to reduce that amount that you will be held liable for ( the excess) . It is offered as an additional daily amount added to the base rental cost. Some rental companies offer varying degrees of waiver, which will reduce your excess by a fixed amount, the more you pay, the more is waived normally to an excess of zero. However, you are still liable for damage to underside and wheels.

The van hire company will offer you additional insurance to also reduce or waive the excess. However, it is cheaper to take out a separate standalone van hire excess insurance policy. A van hire excess policies can cover you for one year and cover both van and car rentals excess amounts in the UK or worldwide.

What is LDW Loss damage waiver?

The insurance provided by our partner Questor insurance includes Loss Damage Waiver (LDW). LDW covers damage to the glass, tyres, underside and sunroof of the van. The glass element includes all glass such as windscreen,side windows and headlights. LDW also provides cover for damage to the hired vehicle wheels and wheel trim.

These items covered by LDW are your responsibility under the van hire contract. Any damage and you will be responsible and liable. This is why Questor excess insurance includes these as standard in their van hire excess insurance policies.

Can I insure the excess on a hired van or minibus?

Yes the excess policy can provide cover for a rental van, car or a rental minibus

Any age limits on who can apply on who can apply for a van hire excess insurance policy?

Some, but not all providers of van hire excess insurance stipulate the driver must be 24 or over. If you are a young driver shop around as policies do exist for underage van hire excess. However, It will be more expensive.

How to claim on your van hire excess policy?

If an incident does happen the rental company will deduct the amount from your card and you will need to claim direct on your Questor policy. The process is fairly easy, but you need to keep all receipts given to you by your van rental hire company

Who provides van hire excess insurance?

Many providers exist one of the bigger players is Questor insurance. A typical policy will have both inclusion and exclusions and these will vary and must be compared to find the best deal or a deal that meets with your full requirements.

Am I eligible to apply for van hire excess insurance?

For Questor the following eligibility criteria currently apply

  • Driver must be 18 or over and uder  84 ayears old AND be a permanent resident of the UK or NI.
  • Hold a driving licence recognised and valid for the country of travel.
  • Rental van or minibus must not exceed 7.5 tonnes and a maximum value £75,000.
  • Hire van or minibus must be under 20 years old.

Van hire excess insurance comparison

A van hire excess insurance policy gives you protection when you need to rent a van in the UK. Rentals cars and vans come with a huge excess, the amount that you are liable for. In addition the cover you get does protect the underside mirror or damage to wheels. The solution is to take out van hire excess. 

Compare Van Rental Excess insurance